1896 Reverend S.H. McDill preached his first sermon at Historic Hopewell Church on April 19.
1899 Five new trustees were elected, including Thomas McQuiston, J.C. Paxton, J.W. Graham, W.P. McQuiston, and A.R. McClenahan.
1904 On August 21, Reverend S.H. McDill preached his last sermon at the church. Reverend William Edward Paxton, who lived from 1856-1952, began preaching at Historic Hopewell at this time. Reverend Paxton was born in Israel Township, Preble County, Ohio on October 7, 1856. He graduated from Geneva College in 1881 and was ordained as pastor in Pennsylvania. He served as pastor of Hopewell Church from 1904-1915. Reverend Paxton died on April 1, 1952 at the age of 95, and he is buried at Hopewell Cemetery.
1915 Because of the success of the four daughter churches located in nearby towns--in Fairhaven (organized in 1835), Oxford (organized in 1837), College Corner (organized in 1849), and Morning Sun (organized in 1879)--Hopewell Church was not able to maintain a large congregation. The decision was made to deactivate the church after over 100 years of worship. On September 9, trustees deeded the church building and land to the Trustees of the General Assembly of the United Presbyterian Church of North of America. Trustees also sold the parsonage next door to the church and earmarked the funds for the upkeep and repair of the church building. Members of the church dispersed to the daughter churches shown in the gallery below. Annual church meetings were held until 1958.